Diesel vs Gas
Asking Diesel vs Gas is a difficult question as there are benefits on both sides. On this page we will try to present some facts as well as external sources for you to review.
- It is more fuel efficient pound for pound
- It is a stronger engine pound for pound. Diesel fuel has a higher BTU rating than gasoline.
- It is designed to have a longer life with many reports to 500k miles and some even 900k (Mercedes). It is not unheard of to have 30 year old diesel buses still operating effectively.
- Post 2010 Diesels are also cleaner (in some ways) than their Gasoline counter parts
- Can be a 100% BIO or Renewable alternative to Gas.
- They tend to be more expensive to fix
- Newer Diesels have a higher maintenance burden due to emissions standards.
- California Diesel rules (Note: This will affect a lot of people including outside of California in the future)
- It normally is cheaper per gallon (not currently)
- Does not require a specialized mechanic
- Acquiring a gasoline bus is normally less expensive than a Diesel bus
- They are not engineered to last as long as Diesel. Average major failure rate is 250k miles.
- They are weaker engines pound for pound
- They are not as fuel efficient