Diesel vs Gas
Asking Diesel vs Gas is a difficult question as there are benefits on both sides. On this page we will try to present some facts as well as external sources for you to review. You may also want to visit our Engines page.
- It is more fuel efficient pound for pound
- It is a stronger engine pound for pound. Diesel fuel has a higher BTU rating than gasoline.
- It is designed to have a longer life with many reports to 500k miles and some even 900k (Mercedes). It is not unheard of to have 30 year old diesel buses still operating effectively.
- Post 2010 Diesels are also cleaner (in some ways) than their Gasoline counter parts
- Can be a 100% BIO or Renewable alternative to Gas.
- They tend to be more expensive to fix
- Newer Diesels have a higher maintenance burden due to emissions standards.
- California Diesel rules (Note: This will affect a lot of people including outside of California in the future)
- It normally is cheaper per gallon (not currently)
- Does not require a specialized mechanic
- Acquiring a gasoline bus is normally less expensive than a Diesel bus
- They are not engineered to last as long as Diesel. Average major failure rate is 250k miles.
- They are weaker engines pound for pound
- They are not as fuel efficient